By: Michelle Tunquist
We all know that we need to brush our teeth twice a day, floss twice a day and visit the dentist every six months. These are “must dos” for good dental hygiene. What you may not realize is that a healthy diet can have a huge impact on the health of your teeth. Eat well and enjoy strong teeth and gums.
These are the absolute minimum requirements for healthy teeth. They are essential “must do” behaviors that will help keep your teeth from decaying.
- Brush Your Teeth Twice a Day. Morning and night.
- Floss Your Teeth Twice a Day. Morning and night.
- Visit the Dentist every Six Months.
- Regular check ups can catch issues before they turn into big problems. A good cleaning can help maintain strong teeth.
Healthy Diet Tips for Teeth
Eating healthy isn’t just important for our body, it is also important for our teeth. The foods we eat has an impact in how strong our teeth are and can make the difference in their overall health. Follow these healthy eating tips to get strong teeth and gums:
- Eat Calcium. Our teeth and gums are made up of calcium, which means we need to eat calcium to maintain healthy teeth and gums. Calcium can be found in dairy products. Make sure to eat enough cheese, milk, and yogurt to get the right amount of calcium.
- Get Your Vitamin D. Vitamin D helps our bodies absorb the calcium we eat. Unless we get enough vitamin D, then eating calcium isn’t enough to keep our teeth strong. We get most of our vitamin D from the sun, so get outside and soak up some rays.
- Don’t Forget Vitamin C. Vitamin C deficiency can lead to dental problems like loose teeth and bleeding gums. Make sure to keep gums and teeth strong by getting the proper amount of vitamin C. Vitamin C is found in citrus fruits. Drink some orange juice or eat a bit of grapefruit.
- Avoid Sugar. Sugar can easily lead to tooth decay, so it is best to avoid sugar whenever possible. A diet high in sugary foods is a bad choice for teeth. Skip the candy and grab some fruit instead.
- Drink Water. Drinking water increases saliva production which in turn can help battle bacteria. Water also dilutes sugar and cleans out your mouth.
- Rinse Your Mouth. Quickly rinsing your mouth between meals will remove sugar from your teeth and prevent tooth decay. If you can use mouthwash to kill germs between meals that is great. If not, rinse with water, which still cleans out your mouth and can prevent cavities.
Eating Right for Strong Teeth
We only get one set of adult teeth that need to last the rest of our lives. Making good choices to protect our dental health will make it so that we can enjoy our teeth for a long time to come. Protecting our teeth isn’t just about brushing them twice a day. We can also maintain dental health by eating foods that will keep our teeth strong. Remember to eat healthy for a healthy smile.
Idaho Falls Dentistry for Healthy Teeth
Proper teeth brushing, flossing and healthy eating habits are vital for maintaining dental health. Regular checkups at our Idaho Falls dentistry are also important. Even with best efforts, we all get cavities. We can take care of any problems that arise, so that you can smile without worry. Call today at (208) 524-1700 to set up an appointment.